On-Site Sewage Facility (OSSF)
Request an Environmental Inspection
To request an environmental inspection for work completed, please submit a request and allow three business days to schedule your inspection. Provide your name, phone number, property address, permit number, preferred inspection dates and times, and a description of your inspection need. Environmental staff will contact you to schedule an inspection.
- Email email@example.com; or
- Call 972.291.5100 ext. 2888
On-Site Sewage Facility (OSSF) Installation & Modification
On-Site Sewage for new structures shall only be allowed on lots which are a minimum of one (1) acre. All OSSFs shall be permitted and inspected regardless of lot size or acreage tract. OSSFs may be utilized only for disposal of normal domestic wastewater. No industrial waste may be discharged to any OSSF. No person may cause or allow the installation of a new OSSF when part of the lot or tract on which the OSSF is proposed is to be within two hundred (200) feet in horizontal distance of an existing sanitary sewer system unless the person has received a written denial of service from the owner or governing body of the sanitary sewer system or the person has received a written determination from Lauren Betz, Designated Representative, that it is not feasible for the person to connect to the sanitary sewer system.
For questions, contact Lauren Betz, Designated Representative, by phone at (972) 291-5126, ext. 2805 or by email.
- PERMIT APPLICATION: Complete the On-Site Sewage Facility Program permit application packet. The packet consists of the following: (1) Application for New Construction and Modification, (2) Technical Information for the Permit, and (3) Affidavit to the Public. The permit application must be completed in full. Incomplete and insufficient applications will be denied.
- PERMIT FEE: The permit fee is $150. Payments are made at Development Services located on the second floor of the Government Center at 285 Uptown Boulevard, Cedar Hill, TX 75104.
- PERMIT REVIEW: Once the application packet is approved and permit fee paid, the Designated Representative will issue an Authorization to Construct. The Authorization to Construct is valid for 12 months from issuance.
- INSPECTION: Contact the Designated Representative for inspection after construction. DO NOT backfill the underground tank until the inspection is completed.
- APPROVAL: Once the inspection is complete and OSSF determined to be in compliance, the Designated Representative will issue a Notice of Approval.
Be SepticSmart (OSSF Maintenance)
All new aerobic septic systems are required to have a maintenance contract with a licensed Maintenance Provider in the initial two (2) years of service. The City of Cedar Hill encourages all homeowners with aerobic septic systems to continue a maintenance contract with a licensed Maintenance Provider following the initial two years to ensure proper functionality. Failure to properly maintain a functioning septic system shall result in but not limited to violations, fines and additional enforcement actions.
If you are not properly maintaining your septic system, you are hurting the environment, putting your family's health at risk, and may be flushing thousands of dollars down the drain! EPA's SepticSmart initiative is a nation-wide public education effort that aims to inform homeowners living on properties serviced by septic systems on the importance of properly maintaining their septic system. It also provides valuable resources to help homeowners make important decisions regarding their wastewater management needs.
Connecting to the Sanitary Sewer System
For questions about connecting to the City's sanitary sewer system, contact City Engineer Robert Woodbury by phone at (972) 291-5126, ext. 2812 or by email.