Community Risk Programs
Spring Forward - Spring Into Action
Twice a year, in the days leading up to time adjustment for Daylight Saving Time, the Cedar Hill Fire Department would remind everyone to complete an important task in addition to adjusting their clocks. When you change your clock - change the battery in your smoke alarm and carbon monoxide (CO) detector as well.
Alarm Installation & Maintenance
Should you need assistance in obtaining, installing, or properly maintaining your smoke detectors, please call the Fire Department at 972-291-1011. Cedar Hill Fire Department offers Free Smoke Detectors to our citizens.
According to the United States Fire Administration, every year, approximately 2,600 Americans die in home fires. Over half of these deaths (52%) occur between the hours of 10 p.m. and 7 a.m., when residents are typically sleeping. Smoke and toxic gases from a home fire are as deadly as heat and flames. Just 2 or 3 breaths of toxic smoke can render you unconscious. The majority of fire victims die or are injured from exposure to smoke and toxic gases, such as carbon monoxide, not actual burns. In addition, smoke obscures vision, decreasing your ability to escape.
Carbon Monoxide Alarms
Homes should also have carbon monoxide alarms and the batteries should be changed during the same time. Carbon monoxide is an odorless, tasteless, invisible gas. Low levels of carbon monoxide poisoning cause symptoms similar to those of the flu or a cold. Higher levels of poisoning lead to dizziness, mental confusion, and severe headache among other issues. Carbon monoxide alarms are designed to sound an alert before the exposure to carbon monoxide can present a hazard to a healthy adult. Experts recommend that every home with natural gas appliances or an attached garage should have at least 1 working carbon monoxide alarm.
Smoke alarms save lives, prevent injuries, and minimize property damage by detecting fires early and alerting residents, allowing crucial time for you and your family to escape. The risk of dying from a fire in a home without working smoke alarms is twice as high as in a home that has working smoke alarms.